Join us for a special service featuring the combined choirs of The Episcopal Church of the Incarnation and NRJ's very own 88 Keys!
Lessons & Carols for Advent & Christmas will interweave the Biblical stories from the fall, the prophecy of Jesus' birth, and the birth of Jesus with carols -- ancient, traditional and contemporary. There will be both choir anthems as well as congregational carols, so you will have lots of opportunities to sing! This is a fun event for the entire family. A reception will follow the service.
Saturday Dec. 20, 2014 at 5 p.m.
Episcopal Church of the Incarnation
1750 29th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94127
Get your tickets here
Suggested donation $10-$20 per person. No one turned away for lack of funds.
The event is sponsored by the Network on Religion and Justice for Asian Pacific Islander LGBTQ People, and the Episcopal Church of the Incarnation, and the Center for Lesbian and Gay Studies in Religion and Ministry.
Divine Solidarity: God with Us in Weeping and Liberation
By Rev. Jeanelle N. Ablola, NRJ Board Member and Pastor of Pine United Methodist Church, San Francisco
December 15, 2014
This Advent morning I woke up to the news of the indictment of the suspected murderer of Jennifer Laude. This Advent morning I woke up to the news of The Blackout Collective leading a lockdown occupation of the Oakland Police Department, just a few miles from my home. The struggle for justice to arrive has been embodied by thousands this year.
The preparation of making the paths ready for Christ is being paved and smoothed by the thousands of feet that have come to march and the way made wider by the raised fists that continue to knock on the heavens. Hearts and bodies radiating something like “O come, O come Emmanuel…” to the Christian mind... Click here to read more
2014 Program Updates
We invite you to take a look at some of the recent highlights below that capture how our grassroots network of API LGBTQ individuals, and their faith communities, families, friends and allies continues to work towards fully LGBTQ-inclusive Asian Pacific Islander faith communities.
- In the fall of 2013, NRJ collaborated with API Equality - Northern California and the API Roundtable to create the Pink Elephant Project. We brought together a diverse cohort of 25 LGBTQ and allied Buddhists, Christians, and Hindus of Thai, Vietnamese, Filipino, Chamorro, Indian, Japanese, Chinese, and Korean descent. More than 60 friends, family, and community members came to the Community Showcase to hear their stories creatively expressed through writing, photography, and video!
- In January 2014, NRJ convened the API Faith Working Group at the National Gay and Lesbian Task Force’s Creating Change Conference in Houston, Texas with activists from New York and Hawaii. Together, we facilitated a workshop on “Nurturing LGBTQ People of Faith and Nudging Churches Towards Acceptance” and hosted a caucus for Asian Pacific Islander LGBTQ people of faith with audiences totalling 45 people.
- In April 2014, NRJ held a one-day workshop entitled Building an Inclusive Asian Pacific Islander Church at Buena Vista United Methodist Church in Alameda, CA. Over 40 API LGBTQ people of faith and allies from mainline and evangelical churches attended!
- At the San Francisco Pride Festival in June, NRJ volunteers gave blessings and handed out rainbow cross-shaped lollipops to over 150 LGBTQ people in the API Pavillion.
- In the last year, NRJ’s choir, 88 Keys, has become a strong community of API LGBTQ people of faith and allies from our LGBTQ-friendly API churches. In addition to fostering community and dialogue among its multigenerational membes, 88 Keys has performed at over 10 Pride Sunday services, church bazaars, senior centers, and LGBTQ community events throughout the Bay Area.
Many thanks to NRJ volunteer leaders for helping to make all these great things happen!
NRJ creates community spaces and leadership development for Asian Pacific Islander LGBTQ people of faith and allies
...Check out our monthly organizing meetings and Talking Circles!
NRJ provides education to Asian Pacific Islander churches to increase their understanding of LGBTQ people and support their efforts towards full inclusion of LGBTQ people
...Check out our workshops!
NRJ creates resources for Asian Pacific Islander LGBTQ people of faith and Asian Pacific Islander faith communities
...Check out our directory of LGBTQ-friendly API churches, directory of LGBTQ-friendly API pastors, library of sermons and articles, and videos!
a concert featuring 88 Keys and the Episcopal Church of the Incarnation choir
Saturday, December 20, 2014, 5pm
at Episcopal Church of the Incarnation
1750 29th Avenue, San Francisco, CA 94127
LGBTQ Bible & Meditation Group
1st and 3rd Thursdays
from August to December 2014
at Pine United Methodist Church
426 - 33rd Avenue, San Francisco, CA
RSVP and learn more
2nd Sunday of each month in Berkeley, CA
Contact: firstname.lastname@example.org for time and location
Come. Be present.
Deepen the conversation.
4th Sunday of each month, 5-8pm
Click here for location information